Thursday, November 11, 2010

Video: The Aesthetics of Narcissism

I'm sure like most of the class, I had an extremely hard time following along with this article and understanding it all. Although, what I did get from it was that Krauss was making a point to say that video art many times and in many ways seems to withhold an aesthetic of narcissism. When I think about video I can complelely understand this relationship. When you think of a video camera you immediately think of video taping people, perhaps a christmas gathering. Most often people are the subject in video. Whenever people are involved I feel as though there is always a sort of narcissism attached to the nature of the video. Whether the narcissism is pointed at the videographer or the person that the video is capturing. I feel as though after thinking about the points made in the article and the different art examples shown it is very understandable what this article is trying to say. With video I feel as though the artist may almost be pushed to do work in the aesthetic of narcissism, it's the nature of the equiptment in a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment