Monday, November 15, 2010

The Aesthetics of Narcissism

I really appreciated how Krauss pointed out the fact that video works have to be processed and viewed through a machine. It is a point that is so obvious but something i overlooked. Initially when she pointed this out I felt like it cheapened the art form. With painting and sculpture you see the original with your eyes, with video, the machine limits you. You can't go into the television and look around.
The part of this article I enjoyed the most was when she was talking about the piece called boomerang. I really sympathized with Nancy Holt because I've had a similar experience on phone calls with bad reception. At work I answer phones so it's not like i can just hang up on them. There are times when i hear an echo of myself and i agree that my voice doesn't sound as sure when i hear the echo of it, and then it makes me question what I'm saying and then its this circular disintegration of my confidence and thoughts. I'm not sure that if Krauss's assumption of narcissism is correct. Narcissism seems negative and self obsessed, i would argue that it's self exploration or an awareness of self.

No comments:

Post a Comment