Friday, November 26, 2010

Jack Goldstein: The Knife and The Chair

The Knife

Quite honestly, I felt that this video was extremely boring, uninteresting, and very predictable. Although, it was intriguing that the colors went from a bit duller in the beginning to more vibrant and bright towards the middle. I didn't recieve any emotional content from this piece. I felt that it lacked context. A knife is obviously associated with pain, blood, cutting, and red. It seemed too litteral that the knife would turn red. The warm and cool color switch was ok but I felt that this video just lacked context and was too surface oriented and not deep enough.

The Chair

I enjoyed this piece much better than "The Knife". The what seem to be feathers, although it is hard to make out due to the quality of the video, change the sace completely throughout the video. The piece starts off very solemn and almost foreboading in a sense, an empty chair in a room without an occupant. Then the very colorful feathers gently fall from nowhere eventually fill the space with color almost like confetti in a celebretory manner. This piece gave me a sense of completeness when finished which was much different that my first feeling upon starting the video I felt much of a void. I enjoyed the relaxed nature of the piece and the use of bright playful colors used in a contrasting subdued manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment