Friday, November 26, 2010

Gary Hill Video

This artist was very interesting in his use of video to portray the body and physical properties of the human being. The way Gary uses video in order to explore the body in some ways reminds me of the Aesthetics of Narcisism article. It reminds of of this because like in the video that is viewing the limbs of the body in some ways this could be seen as narcissistic, as well as the video that was shot behind the head. Most of his work seems to analyze the human in such a way that the beings almost become mechanical and not human at all but a mere exploration of science. I enjoyed the works of Gary Hill and felt that he had interesting viewpoints. His pieces seemed to really make me think and reanalyze myself as a human being. I enjoyed his use of camera angles and the difficulties that he conquered while strapping cameras to a moving human being. I also admire the fact that he is the subject in most of his videos, especially the one where he is nude. It must take much courage in order to be the subject of your own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment