Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Aesthetics of Narcissism

I thought that the intent behind the article was interesting, but the way that Krauss presented it didn't work for me. I didn't think it was over my head, however, it was too much information. I get that Krauss believes that video art's medium is narcissism, and she makes a good point, but it could have been stated more simply. I feel that she went on and on, giving too many examples to make her point. It was hard for me to stay connected to the article whenever she would describe pieces of video art that I had never seen; even though she described each work in detail, there was a disconnect because I couldn't relate the points she was making to anything I had physically seen, just the images she had constructed for me. With that said, I really do believe she makes some good points about video art, especially when she relates it to psychology. "Narcissism" was a little further than I would have taken it, and I think that if she had just left her main message as "psychology is the medium for video art" I would have found it much more believable. She makes some really interesting points about "medium" itself, using it to refer to a person's body and the way it reacts as being a type of medium. I feel that if she had kept things more simple and to the point she could have made her ideas come across more valid, because she has some really great argumentation in the article about how video and psychology relate, but it is lost in the jumble of her relating pieces to one another and describing them so in-depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment